Field Visit #4

October 24, 2025    3:30 pm

48 degrees F, Overcast with slight breeze

Sunrise 8:08am--->Sunset 6:48pm

Length of Day: 10 hours and 40 minutes


Senses

Felt - Today I noticed and felt that it was even cooler than last time, the temperature was lower. There was a slight breeze but other than that is was very still. You could almost feel the stillness, there werent animals scurrying around like other times.

Heard - I could hear the rustling leaves at my plot. The creek was burbling and very few insects chirping. I think that they were crickets. I also heard a plane fly by over head once.

Saw - Today at my plot I saw that the creek had a higher water level than before. This was due to all that rain we got last week. There were bubbles in the stream because of the rocks. You can see the bubbles a bit in the picture at the bottom of the blog. I saw a lot of bare branches on trees. More leaves were on the ground than last time I visited. A cool part of nature that I saw that I havent seen before was some fungi on one of the trees for my study. Most of the flowers that were left were curling up and turning brown. 

Observations - All the trees had lost the majority of their leaves. The trees were looking pretty bare compared to last time. The 2 kinds of trees were pretty close in how many leaves were left on the trees. This is interesting because earlier the elm trees were losing more leaves than the black willow but it seems that the black willow has caught up to the elm trees in how many leaves they have lost and changed color. The pattern that I see is that the black willow trees started changing and losing leaves near the beginning of October and that the elm trees started turning colors in September.

Pictures

North


East


South


West


2 pictures of a fungi I found



Higher water level


Comments

  1. Good work. Does the overall color change pattern match the leaf fall pattern and the patterns you see in other types of trees beyond these 2?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Field Visit #1

Field Visit #3