Field Visit #2

September 19, 2025    4:00pm

86 degrees F, Sunny with a light breeze

Sunrise 7:28am--->Sunset 7:46pm

Length of Day: 12 hours and 18 minutes


Senses

Felt - I felt the sun coming down. It was pretty warm today. There was a breeze that picked up every once in a while.

Heard - I could hear crickets and cicadas buzzing. I could hear one bird that kept squawking for almost the whole time I was there. There were some other birds that would chirp a few times then fly away. I heard the trees blowing in the wind when it started moving. I heard leaves crunching under my feet when I walked around. Also I heard somebody's pet dog bark twice in the distance.

Saw - I saw a lot of plants that were still green. A few flowers still had color, but most that had color last time were dead now. I saw some trees start to change colors and quite a few leaves on the ground. I saw some yellow leaves and some really pretty red leaves from an oak. There was one tree that was completely bare but I don't know if the tree lost all its leaves or if it was just dead.

Observations - Some of the trees were starting to change color and some of them were already losing a few leaves. All of the elm trees were starting to turn yellow and one even lost a few leaves. Some of the black willow trees were starting to turn a little yellow. Plants were still mostly green and it was a warm day but most of the flowers had died so there wasn't much color.

Questions - Why do some trees, of the same species, lose leaves or turn colors before others? Size, age, soil nutrients?

Pictures


North

East



South
West    
Red oak leaves
Red clover wildflower

Comments

  1. Great work! Your questions related to your research are great to be thinking about as well. To note for you...the dry summer is likely influencing your results a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Field Visit #1

Field Visit #3